Purpose of the Job
Responsible for all activities associated with running the double-backer including setup, operation, cleanup, and recommending improvements to operations.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Set up bridge guides and glue station in accordance with proper setup techniques.
- Check wet end lineups to verify correct roll stock is received and used.
- Put rolls of paper in mill roll stands ensuring proper size and grade of paper to be run and make splices and paper changes as necessary.
- Make adjustment during runs for tension, alignment, adhesion, and warp control.
- Trim only the necessary amount of paper from the rolls when preparing splices.
- Remove roll stock from the machine when necessary and mark the proper size, grade, diameter, and lineal footage on the roll and place core plugs in each end of the butt rolls.
- Maximize the utilization of equipment by operating the double-backer at available capacity and speed in line with those of the corrugator.
- Clean starch pans, metering rolls, and glue rolls when necessary
- Keep the double backer area clean.
- Complete necessary reports in an accurate and timely manner, including but not limited to: Production Data, Machine Operational Status, Safety Data, Quality Data
- Turn in maintenance work orders to supervisor for needed repairs. Be proactive in the maintenance of equipment.
- Assist the Corrugator Operator as necessary.
- Assist in the training of dry end personnel.
- Adheres to production schedule. Makes recommendations for optimizing the schedule to meet cost, quality, and service goals.
- Report any unusual scheduling issues to Supervisor.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures, including safety and maintaining good housekeeping.
- Perform Lock out Tag out when there are safety concerns.
- Follow Lockout procedures as specified in the Safety Manual and operators must sign off on all Policies and Lockout Procedures at a minimum of every six months.
- Performs well with limited direct supervision.
- Exercises proper handling to ensure good quality of work.
- Maintains a strong work ethic, uses good judgement and decision-making skills while maintaining that safety always comes first.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 2+ years experience in a manufacturing environment.
- 2+ years experience in the corrugated industry
- 2 +years experience as a machine operator
- Be able to read tape measure, calculate figures and amounts such as percentage, volume and rate.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Good conflict resolution skills.
- Must be able to manage multiple priorities.
- Basic computer skills such as Microsoft Outlook and Office.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Stand, walk, and talk or hear
- Use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Manufacturing: 2 years (Required)